The other day at the grocery store while standing in line at the checkout, I spotted a holiday cookies magazine and flipped through it. I bought this magazine when I saw this recipe…it was all I needed to see, I was sold! You just can’t go wrong with chocolate, pecans, and caramel. Rich, fudgy chocolate cookies are rolled in pecans then filled with a decadent caramel. These chocolate turtle cookies just might be the end of me! I need to get them out of my house before I eat the entire batch. 😉 Serve this cookie alongside a glass of eggnog and it is such to be Santa’s favorite this year!
Chocolate Turtle Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, separated, plus 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups pecans, chopped fine
- 14 soft caramel candies
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg yolk, milk, and vanilla and mix until incorporated. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture until just combined. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk 2 egg white until frothy. In a shallow bowl, place pecans for rolling. Roll a heaping tablespoon of dough, dip in egg whites, then roll in pecans. Place balls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough
- Using a teaspoon measure spoon, make indentation in center of each ball. Bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through baking.
- While cookies are baking, microwave caramels and heavy cream in medium bowl, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes; set aside.
- Once cookies are removed from oven, gently press existing indentations with teaspoon measure. Fill each indentation with 1/2 teaspoon caramel mixture. Cool 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool completely.