I can’t believe I have waited this long to make these! They are so super cute and so easy to make. I have to admit that I had never even heard of whoopie pies until about six months ago. I know, I know…where have I been right? This was my first batch and I was very excited to take that first yummy bite that you see in the picture above! 🙂 Two chocolatey cake cookies with a luscious marshmallow creme filling layered in between. Does it get any better than this? I think not!
Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Marshmallow Filling
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups Marshmallow Fluff
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable shortening
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, shortening and brown sugar on low speed until just combined. Increase the speed to medium and beat until fluffy and smooth, about 3 minutes.
Bake one sheet at a time for about 10 minutes each, or until the rounds spring back when pressed gently. Remove from the oven and let the cakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool completely.
Source: Whoopie Pies