Two childhood favorites come together in one delicious treat! That’s right, Rice Krispies Treats and S’mores have joined forces to create a summer dessert that will be a hit at your next summer barbecue. It’s hard for me to resist a regular Rice Krispies Treat, let along one speckled with graham cracker crumbs and chocolate chips then topped with a gooey s’more. Just a warning…this is one messy dessert, but totally worth every gooey, chocolately bite! Just make sure you have lots of napkins on hand for these gooey treats!
On another note, I am really excited to announce that Sweet Pea’s Kitchen is getting a brand spanking new makeover! I am working with Lindsay from Purr Design to create a new and easier to navigate webpage. The website launches on August 31! 😀
One Year Ago: Cherry Bon Bon Cookies
Two Years Ago: Zucchini Bread
S’mores Rice Krispies Treats
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows (or about 40 regular/large marshmallows)
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup graham crackers, broken Into coarse pieces
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
For the Top Layer:
- 1 ¾ cups milk chocolate chips
- 10 full sized graham crackers, broken in half (slightly more or less, depending on the pan you use)
- 40 large marshmallows (approximately)
- Butter a 9×13-inch baking dish. Line the baking pan with parchment paper letting the paper extend up the two short sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. Butter paper; set pan aside.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add marshmallows and stir frequently until melted, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in rice cereal, graham cracker pieces and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Using a piece of wax paper, press rice mixture evenly into prepared pan.
- Melt 1 ¾ cups milk chocolate chips in a metal bowl over a pan of lightly simmering water. Stir occasionally until smooth, and remove from heat. Spread chocolate on top of rice krispies treats in pan. Lay graham cracker squares on top, leaving a tiny bit of space between each cracker.
- Cut large marshmallows in half and place cut side down onto graham crackers (each cracker should have 4 marshmallow halves). Place in the oven under the broiler and heat until marshmallows are just beginning to brown. Chill in refrigerator until chocolate is set.
Yields: about 16 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Source: adapted from Glorious Treats