Moist and tender muffins studded with fresh strawberries and a delicious cream cheese filling baked right in the middle. One of my readers, Elisabeth, told me about this recipe back in May and I have been waiting for the perfect time to make them. She exclaimed that “they are the best muffin I ever put in my mouth!” With that kind of review I knew I just had to make them! As soon as I saw that these muffins had a cream cheese middle, I was sold! I made these the morning of our big 4th of July cookout. They were a huge hit and devoured within minutes of coming out of the oven. 🙂
One Year Ago: Southwestern Stuffed Tomatoes
Strawberries ‘n Cream Muffins
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 egg (about 1 1/2 tablespoons beaten)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Muffins:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped, divided
- Turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line muffin cups with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 beaten egg, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract until thoroughly combined and no lumps remain.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, vanilla extract, almond extract, buttermilk and eggs. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring just to combine.
- Fill each muffin cup halfway with batter. Evenly divide half of the strawberries between each muffin cup. Evenly divide the cream cheese mixture among the muffin cups on top of the strawberries. Top the muffins evenly with remaining batter so strawberries and cream cheese mixture are covered. Top the muffins with remaining strawberries.
- Sprinkle tops of muffins with turbinado sugar and bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 16 to 18 minutes.
- Cool muffins in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool 5 minutes before serving.
Yields: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 18 minutes
Source: adapted from Jane’s Sweets & Baking Journal