For the past few days I have been struggling to ignore a craving for a fresh fruit pie. I just don’t trust myself around a fruit pie unless we have company coming over who can help me devour it. Otherwise, I have a delicious pie tempting me every time I walk into the kitchen and that is just dangerous! 😉 In order to satisfy my pie craving, I remembered these pie bars that I bookmarked a while back. The original recipe called for all blackberries, but since I had a refrigerator filled with three different types of berries, I decided to use a mixture instead. This delicious summer treat can be enjoyed year round by using frozen fruit. However, if you can get your hands on some fresh berries definitely use those first. If you do end up using frozen berries, just be sure to defrost the berries and drain the excess juices before using. If you are craving that perfect summertime dessert, look no further! A creamy sour cream triple berry filling is sandwiched between a buttery shortbread crust and a crumbly topping making the ultimate berry dessert. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a treat that is truly out of this world!
One Year Ago: Toasted Coconut, Toffee and Chocolate Chip Cookies
Triple Berry Pie Bars
- zest of two lemons
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into cubes
For the Berry Filling:
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups raspberries
- 2 cups blackberries
- 2 cups blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9X13 inch metal baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. Place another piece of parchment paper in the same manner, perpendicular to the first sheet. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.)
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and zest. Rub the zest and sugar between your fingers (Rubbing the zest into the sugar will release oils from the zest and create a lemon scented sugar). Transfer sugar mixture to a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add flour and salt and pulse until combined, about two 1-second pulses.
- Add the butter and toss with a fork to cover in flour mixture. Pulse until pieces of butter are no larger than the size of peas, about 10 to 12 pulses. Set aside 1 ½ cups of the crust mixture and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes while you make the filling.
- To make the filling: Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Add the sugar, sour cream, flour and salt. Gently fold in the berries. Spoon the mixture evenly over the crust. Sprinkle evenly with the reserved crust mixture.
- Bake until the top is lightly browned, about 45 to 55 minutes. Cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
Yields: 18 bars
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Bake Time: 55 minutes