If you are searching for the perfect side dish for your Memorial Day cookout this weekend, look no further! If you’ve never made your own baked beans from scratch, you are really missing out. I promise you will never go back to canned baked beans again! Nothing says welcome to summer better than a big pot of simmering baked beans. They are a staple to every summer cookout and potluck at our house. These beans slowly simmer in the oven for several hours until they are plump, tender, and coated in a delicious sticky sauce. A really great tasting barbecue sauce is essential for making these beans, so make sure you use your favorite. While you are at it, you might as well make some Slow Roasted Pulled Pork to go right along side those beans. I can’t think of a better way to kick off the unofficial start of summer! 😀
One Year Ago: Coffee Cream Brownies
Barbecued Baked Beans
- 4 ounces bacon, chopped fine
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ( 2 cups) dried small white beans, rinsed and picked over
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup strong black coffee
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 4 ½ teaspoons prepared brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon mild molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- Heat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the bacon until it’s beginning to crisp, about 5 minutes. Stir in the onion and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the beans, water, coffee, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, mustard, molasses, Tabasco, and salt. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Cover and transfer to the oven. Bake, stirring every hour, until the beans are tender, about 4 hours.
- Remove the lid and continue to bake, uncovered, until the liquid has thickened to a syrupy consistency, 1 to 1 ½ hours longer. Season the beans with additional barbecue sauce, Tabasco, and salt and pepper to taste.
Yields: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 5 hours and 30 minutes