Ahhh..the classic combination that adults and kids of all ages enjoy, Peanut Butter and Jelly! These soft and chewy peanut butter cookies with a jam and peanut butter filled center are a sure to please all of those PB&J lovers in your family. The past few days I have had cravings for anything and everything peanut butter. Trying to satisfy that craving, I whipped up a batch of these cookies. I have been waiting for an excuse to make them ever since I bookmarked the recipe back in February when I saw them on Pip and Ebby. You can use your favorite jelly, jam, or preserves for the filling (I used my favorite raspberry jam). Just to give you a warning, these cookies are addicting! Especially paired with a big, cold glass of milk. 😀
One Year Ago: Baked Chicken Fingers
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup jelly
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- Adjust the oven racks to the upper- and lower-middle positions and heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the flat beater attached, cream the shortening, peanut butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the milk, vanilla and egg; beat at medium speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Roll a heaping tablespoon of dough into a 1½-inch ball. Place on prepared baking sheets spacing about 2 inches apart. Using your thumb, dowel or a melon baller, make an indentation in the center of each cookie. In each divot, place 1⁄2 teaspoon of jelly and 1⁄2 teaspoon of peanut butter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Yields: 3 dozen
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 12 minutes
Source: Pip and Ebby