My favorite recipe for sugar cookies gets dressed up just in time for Easter! I first saw this recipe on Pinterest a few weeks ago and knew I had to give them a try. The original recipe called for using refrigerated cookie dough, but I knew they would taste even better with a homemade sugar cookie. I chose my go to sugar cookie, the Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies from Baking Illustrated. These cookies were so much fun to make and I bet kids would have a ball helping frost and decorate the cookies. Chewy sugar cookies topped with a delicious buttercream frosting, tinted coconut and jelly beans. The perfect addition to your Easter table or a spring party! 😀
One Year Ago: Greek Style Chicken Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce
Easter Nest Cookies
- 1 recipe for Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Food coloring
- Jelly beans or candy coated mini eggs
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Bake cookies as directed in recipe. Click here to get the recipe! 😀
- While cookies are cooling, add coconut to a 1-quart resealable plastic bag. Add 2 to 3 drops of desired food color and shake to blend the color. It may be necessary to add 1 to 2 teaspoons water to help disperse the color evenly or additional food color until desired color is reached.
- To make the frosting, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and vanilla. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar. Once smooth and creamy, add in heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time until the desired spreading consistency is achieved.
- Once cookies have cooled completely, frost and top with jelly beans and 1 teaspoon of coconut. Allow frosting to set, then store in an air-tight container.
Yields: 24 cookies
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Bake Time: 18 minutes