I love the smell of coffee, coffee flavored muffins, cakes, even ice cream, but I don’t drink coffee. In fact I can go as far as saying I can’t stand the actual taste of coffee. Weird, right?! Andrew, on the other hand, wouldn’t survive one day without his cup of joe. These muffins are perfect for all of those coffee lovers out there. With a deep mocha flavor and a hefty dose of chocolate chips, these muffins are sure to become a favorite at your breakfast table. Serve warm while the chocolate chips are nice and melty….trust me! I promise I won’t tell that you had two of these babies in one sitting! 😉
One Year Ago: Homemade Granola
Mocha Chip Muffins
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar, minus 1 tablespoon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin cups with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in one-half of dry ingredients. Dissolve instant espresso powder in yogurt and beat in one-third of yogurt. Beat in remaining dry ingredients in two batches, alternating with yogurt, until incorporated. Using rubber spatula, gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Bake until muffin tops are golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes, rotating halfway through baking time. Set on wire rack to cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove muffins from tin and serve warm.
Yields: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 20 minutes
Source: Cook’s Illustrated, January 1997