French toast is one of my favorite indulgent weekend breakfasts. Baked in a casserole or cooked on the griddle, nothing beats a stack of french toast smothered in warm maple syrup. These french toast muffins encompasses all I love about regular french toast right in a portable little package. Baked up golden brown, brushed with maple syrup and lightly dusted with powdered sugar, these muffins are sure to put a smile on your face.
One Year Ago: Bananas Foster Muffins
French Toast Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tsp. powdered cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line muffin cups with muffin liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, maple extract, egg and melted butter.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Stir until just incorporated. (Do not over-mix)
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Bake until golden and toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Use a toothpick to poke holes in the muffin tops and gently spoon or brush maple syrup onto each muffin. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve.
Yields: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 12 minutes
Source: adapted from Sprinkle Bakes
Looking for more french toast recipes? Here are a few of my favorites! 😀