Oh pizza…I swear I could eat you everyday of my life it is wasn’t for the havoc you would wreak on my hips. Of all of the comforting foods out there, pizza is one of my biggest downfalls. There is nothing better than snuggling up under a blanket with my hubby, a warm pizza and a favorite movie. When we lived in Indy we would order pizza all the time. It was pure bliss for those few minutes it would take my husband and I to destroy a large pizza. After about a half an hour Andrew and I would always end up looking at each other and saying “what were we thinking?” We were thinking that neither one of us wanted to cook, that is was so easy to pick up the phone and order a pizza, and that we were just too tired from a busy day at work to make something healthy. Since we moved to Peoria a few months ago I can happily say that the pizza delivery man has not stopped at our house once. The reason? This recipe! 🙂 A pizza that is low-calorie and on the table in less time it takes for delivery. It is adapted from Cooking Light Magazine and is only 252 calories for two slices! That’s right for two slices! 😀 Barbecue sauce is used as the pizza sauce instead of the typical tomato sauce. I used my favorite bbq sauce Sweet Baby Ray’s and it was incredible. This recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner, however, if you feel like making your own pizza dough from scratch give my favorite Pizza Dough recipe a try. I really love the blue cheese crumbles on this pizza although you can easily make it kid friendly by substituting mozzarella for the blue cheese. This pizza is a regular meal in our house and after one bite I can promise it will be one in yours!
One Year Ago: THE Baked Brownie
BBQ Chicken and Blue Cheese Pizza
- 1 (8-10 ounce) prebaked thin pizza crust (such as Boboli 100% Whole Wheat Thin Pizza Crust)
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce (Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 1/4 pound)
- Preheat oven to 500°.
- Place pizza crust on a baking sheet. Spread barbecue sauce over the crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top with remaining ingredients. Bake 10 minutes or until cheese melts and crust is crisp. Cut into 12 wedges.
Yields: 12 slices of pizza (serving size 2 slices/252 calories)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 10 minutes
Source: adapted from Cooking Light, August 2011