Chewy, fudgy oatmeal cookies studded with chocolate chunks and plump cherries. Oatmeal cookies are one of my favorites this time of year. They are so fat, chewy and comforting. For this recipe, I added a splash of cherry flavoring to the dough to intensify the cherry flavor. These low-calorie cookies are a great Valentines Day treat for your health conscious sweetie. If you love that chocolate and cherry combination, (and seriously who doesn’t?) then you will love these cookies. 😀
One Year Ago: Pita Bread
Chocolate-Cherry Heart Smart Cookies
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 teaspoon cherry flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and brown sugar until smooth. Add flour mixture and beat until blended. Add cherries, cherry flavoring, vanilla, and egg; beat until combined. Fold in chocolate.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes. Cool on baking sheet 3 minutes or until almost firm. Remove cookies from baking sheet and cool completely on wire racks.
Yields: 2 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 12 minutes
Source: adapted from Cooking Light, January 2010