These festive minty chocolate cheesecake bars are sure to be popular among your holiday guests. Chocolate cheesecake is always a hit at holiday parties. With this recipe you get the rich cheesecake taste in small two-bite bars!
The past few days in my house have been crazy. My parents are visiting from Columbus, Ohio and we have been trying to finish up our Christmas shopping along with everyone else in this town. The malls have been packed and the grocery stores are insane. Tis the season for crowded stores and long lines. You would think that I would learn to get all of my shopping done before the last week of Christmas. My mom and I came home from shopping the other day and did some baking therapy. We decided on these festive bars because cheesecake is our favorite dessert and we needed a bite after braving the crowds at Target! 😉
One Year Ago: Oreo Truffles
Chocolate Cheesecake Candy Cane Bars
- 20 chocolate mint cookies (Girl Scout Thin Mints, Keebler Mint Cookies)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Filling:
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 11 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
For the Glaze:
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons sour cream, room temperature
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch square baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.) Butter the parchment.
- For the crust: in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, process cookies, butter, sugar, coffee, and salt until fine. Evenly press the crust into the prepared baking pan. Bake until the crust sets, about 15 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, put the chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl; heat at 75 percent power until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir, and continue to microwave until completely melted, up to 2 minutes more; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, sugar, and sour cream together until smooth. Add the eggs and beat until just incorporated. With the mixer running on low speed, pour the chocolate into the wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour the filling evenly over the crust. Bake until filling puffs slightly around the edges, but is still a bit wobbly in the center, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on a rack.
- For the Glaze: Put the chocolate, butter and corn syrup in microwave-safe bowl. Heat glaze in the microwave at 75 percent power until melted, about 2 minutes. Stir the ingredients together until smooth; add the sour cream. Spread glaze evenly over the warm cake and scatter the crushed candy canes over top. Cool completely, then refrigerate overnight. Holding onto the parchment, lift bars out of the pan and onto a cutting board. Cut into bars and serve.
Yields: about 16 bars
Prep Time: 8 hours and 20 minutes (included chilling time)
Bake Time: 45 minutes
Source: adapted from Food Network