There’s always room for one more cookie on your cookie tray this holiday season and this is one cookie you don’t want to forget. These festive and tropical lime glaze coconut snowballs are so pretty and taste incredibly delicious! Cream cheese is one surprise ingredient that adds flavor and richness to these melt in your mouth cookies. You can make these snowballs even more festive by tinting the coconut red or green.
One Year Ago: Coconut Pineapple Bread
Lime Glazed Coconut Snowballs
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (12 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar (5 1/2 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter (2 sticks), cut into sixteen 1/2-inch pieces, at cool room temperature (about 65 degrees)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, at room temperature
For the Glaze:
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar (6 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, pulsed in food processor until finely chopped, about fifteen 1-second pulses
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix flour, lime zest, sugar, and salt on low speed until combined, about 5 seconds. With mixer on low speed, add butter 1 piece at a time; continue to mix until mixture looks crumbly and slightly wet, about 1 minute longer. Add vanilla and cream cheese and mix on low until dough just begins to form large clumps, about 30 seconds.
- Use your hands to roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place on prepared baking sheets, spacing about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake one batch at a time in until lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- To make the glaze: in a medium bowl, whisk together the cream cheese and 2 tablespoons lime juice until combined and no lumps remain. Whisk in confectioners’ sugar until smooth, adding remaining lime juice as needed until glaze is thin enough to spread easily.
- Place coconut in a shallow bowl. Dip tops of cookies into glaze and scrape away excess, then dip into coconut. Set cookies on parchment-lined baking sheet; let stand until glaze dries and sets, about 20 minutes
Yields: about 40 cookies
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Bake Time: 12 minutes
Source: Cook’s Illustrated, November 2003