Every Thanksgiving I go a little overboard stocking up on bags of cranberries. I love throwing those tart berries into muffins, cookies, breads, and scones. As I was making a loaf of Cranberry Orange Pecan Bread, one of my favorites to make during the holiday season, I wanted to try them out in muffin form. I topped each muffin with a crumbly streusel topping and within 30 minutes I had fresh from the oven muffins made from my favorite holiday bread. My family went crazy for these muffins! Fresh cranberry muffins packed with toasted pecans and a hint of orange are topped with a crunchy pecan streusel topping. These festive muffins are super simple to make and the fresh cranberries add a pop of holiday color to your breakfast table.
One Year Ago: Sweet Potato Pie
Cranberry Orange Pecan Muffins
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into 1/2-inch pieces, softened
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
For the Muffins:
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped coarse
- 1 tablespoon grated zest from 1 large orange
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries (6 ounces), chopped coarse
- To make the streusel topping, process flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, butter, and salt in food processor until mixture resembles coarse sand, 4 to 5 pulses. Add pecans and process until pecans are coarsely chopped, about 4 pulses. Transfer to small bowl; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 18 muffin cups with muffin liners.
- Spread the pecans onto a baking sheet and place in preheated oven 5-7 minutes until fragrant. Shake the baking sheet halfway through baking so the nuts will toast evenly. Remove nuts from oven and set aside to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, stir together orange juice, zest, buttermilk, butter, and egg; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in large bowl. Stir liquid ingredients into the dry until just moistened. Gently stir in cranberries and pecans. Do not overmix.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Evenly sprinkle streusel topping over muffins, gently pressing into batter to adhere. Bake until muffin tops are golden and just firm, and toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, 18 to 22 minutes, rotating muffin tins halfway through baking time. Cool muffins in muffin tin on wire rack, 5 minutes. Remove muffins from tin and serve.
Yields: 18 muffins
Source: adapted from Cranberry Orange Pecan Bread