We continue onto Week 13 of College Football, which means another delicious Football bite! I can’t believe this is the last week of the regular season. It went by so fast! Today we are playing our biggest rival-Michigan. At the beginning of the 2011 season the Big 10 Conference was split into two six-team divisions. Ohio State and Michigan were placed in separate divisions, but the Michigan–Ohio State rivalry continues to take place at the end of the regular season every year. I thought what better football bite to prepare for the big rivalry than Fried Mozzarella Sticks! 🙂 This easy appetizer makes the perfect bite for tailgating parties.
One Year Ago: Southern Pecan Pie
Fried Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- 1 1/2 cups Italian-style dried breadcrumbs
- 1 1/3 cups freshly grated Parmesan, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (16-ounce) packages mozzarella cheese sticks
- 4 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- In a medium bowl, combine bread crumbs, 1 cup of Parmesan and salt.
- Cut each mozzarella stick in half.
- Beat eggs in a shallow bowl and dip the cheese sticks into the eggs to coat completely and allow the excess egg to drip back into the bowl. Coat the cheese in the bread crumb mixture, patting to adhere and coat completely. Repeat dipping the cheese sticks in the egg and bread crumb mixture to coat a second time. Place the cheese sticks on a baking sheet, cover and freeze until frozen, about 2 hours.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Working in batches, fry the cheese until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Transfer the fried cheese to plates. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and serve.
Yields: about 56 sticks
Source: adapted from Food Network
If you’ve missed them, make sure to check out the rest of my College Football Bites:
Week One: Pizza Pretzel Bites
Week Two: Slow Roasted Pulled Pork
Week Three: Mini Corn Dogs
Week Four: Buffalo Chicken Bites
Week Five: Texas Chili
Week Six: Beer Battered Fried Pickles
Week Seven: Buffalo Wings
Week Eight: Queso Blanco Dip
Week Nine: Sloppy Joes
Week Ten: Ultimate Spicy Beef Nachos
Week Eleven: Spinach & Artichoke Dip
Week Twelve: Sweet & Sour Meatballs