We continue onto Week 11 of College Football, which means another delicious Football bite! This warm dish of creamy spinach, tender artichokes, and melted Parmesan cheese is guaranteed to be a hit at your next football tailgate! Not only is this great for football season, it’s also a favorite around the holidays. This recipe can be made the day before and baked just before serving. Serve with toasted bread or tortilla chips for a crowd pleasing appetizer.
One Year Ago: Fruit and Nut Granola Bars
Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 (10-ounce) jars artichoke hearts, drained, squeezed dry, and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat melt 2 tablespoons butter. Cook onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Add artichokes and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer artichoke mixture to a small bowl; set aside.
- Melt remaining butter in now empty saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in half-and-half, 1 1/4 cups Parmesan, lemon juice, hot sauce, and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in spinach and reserved artichoke mixture.
- Transfer to 1-quart baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until golden brown and bubbling, about 15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
Yields: about 3 cups
Source: Cook’s Country, December/January 2008
If you’ve missed them, make sure to check out the rest of my College Football Bites:
Week One: Pizza Pretzel Bites
Week Two: Slow Roasted Pulled Pork
Week Three: Mini Corn Dogs
Week Four: Buffalo Chicken Bites
Week Five: Texas Chili
Week Six: Beer Battered Fried Pickles
Week Seven: Buffalo Wings
Week Eight: Queso Blanco Dip
Week Nine: Sloppy Joes
Week Ten: Ultimate Spicy Beef Nachos