Blame it on those cute little Boy Scouts that sold me the peanut butter cup popcorn, or maybe the fact that I have been craving peanut butter like nobody’s business. Either way I set out to find a peanut butter popcorn recipe and created the most amazing caramel popcorn I have ever tasted! 😀 If peanut butter caramel corn didn’t sound amazing enough, I just had to take this caramel corn over the top! I threw in some honey roasted peanuts just for fun and it tasted great. I should have stopped there, but you know how I like to take things over the top, so I added an extra punch of peanut-buttery goodness by drizzling melted peanut butter chips and chocolate on top. Oh. My. Goodness. Incredible! If you are a fan of peanut butter and chocolate, you just have to give this recipe a try. Trust me! 😉
One Year Ago: Pumpkin Pie Pudding
Peanut Butter Cup Caramel Corn
- 20 cups popped popcorn (about 2 bags of popcorn) (or ½ cup kernels)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup light-colored corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup honey roasted peanuts
- 2 cups peanut butter chips
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 250° F. Place popcorn in a large bowl. Spray two large shallow baking dishes with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla. Pour over popcorn, stirring to coat.
- Transfer coated popcorn in the prepared baking dishes and bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool completely then break into pieces. Stir in peanuts.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the peanut butter chips and vegetable shortening and heat for 2-2 1/2 minutes or until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Drizzle over the popcorn and toss to combine.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips until just melted and smooth (about 1-1 1/2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds). Transfer to a Ziploc bag and cut a small corner of the bag and drizzle over the popcorn. Place the two pans in the refrigerator until chocolate has hardened. Break into small pieces and serve.
Yields: 20 servings