We continue onto Week 9 of College Football, which means another delicious Football bite! Here is a kid-friendly football bite if you happen to have a few kiddos at your tailgate. Or at least a few kids at heart! 😉 Sloppy Joes are a quick and easy one-pan meal all of your tailgating guests will love. They are easy to make, serve and eat while cheering on your favorite team. Since I serve a variety of different foods when we are tailgating, I like to serve these sloppy joes on slider buns. That way everyone can enjoy a little bit of everything, and besides everything is cuter on slider buns! Serve with a few tater tots for a meal that will have everyone cheering for more!
One Year Ago: Halloween Sugar Cookies
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 8 slider hamburger buns or 4 regular hamburger buns
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat heat oil until shimmering. Add onion and salt and stir until coated with oil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 10 minutes (if onion begins to burn after 5 minutes, reduce heat to low).
- Add garlic and chili powder and cook, uncovered, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beef and cook, breaking up meat with wooden spoon, until just pink, about 3 minutes.
- Add pepper, brown sugar, tomato puree, ketchup, water, and hot sauce. Simmer until sauce is slightly thicker than ketchup, 8 to 10 minutes. Adjust seasonings and serve.
Yields: 4 servings
Source: adapted from Cook’s Illustrated, October 2005
If you’ve missed them, make sure to check out the rest of my College Football Bites:
Week One: Pizza Pretzel Bites
Week Two: Slow Roasted Pulled Pork
Week Three: Mini Corn Dogs
Week Four: Buffalo Chicken Bites
Week Five: Texas Chili
Week Six: Beer Battered Fried Pickles
Week Seven: Buffalo Wings
Week Eight: Queso Blanco Dip