Rich, fudgy, deep dark chocolate brownie topped with a creamy caramel layer and sprinkled with chocolate chunks, toasted coconut and toasted almonds. It doesn’t get much better than this! These brownies have some of my favorite things-coconut, almonds, caramel and chocolate. Seriously, how can you go wrong? 🙂 If you are looking for the ultimate crowd pleasing dessert, look no further! These chocolately brownies are sure to satisfy any sweet tooth! So rich, so chocolately, so delicious!
One Year Ago: Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits
Coconut Almond Caramel Brownies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 12 oz. bag dark chocolate chunks, divided
- 2 – 14 oz. cans dulce de leche
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9×13 inch metal baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.) Butter the parchment.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the melted butter and sugar until combined.
- In a large bowl whisk together, the cocoa powder, flour and salt. Add to the butter mixture and mix until combined. Beat in eggs (one at a time) and vanilla extract until combined.
- Measure out ½ cup of chocolate chunks and set aside. Stir in the rest of the chocolate chunks.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Gently spread the dulce de leche evenly over the brownies. Sprinkle the coconut, almonds and remaining chocolate chunks over the top and gently press into the dulce de leche.
- Place on the top rack of the oven to toast the coconut and almonds for 2-5 minutes. Watching closely so the coconut doesn’t burn.
- Let cool completely in pan on a cooling rack before lifting out the parchment paper to remove the brownies.
Yields: 24 brownies
Source: A Spicy Perspective