When hunger strikes, do you grab the first food you see? Unfortunately it isn’t always the healthiest snack choice. Well you’re not alone! Although I hate to admit it, I sometimes don’t choose the best snacking choices. Most of the time, if I plan ahead, I am a smart snacker. I try to eat something little every two to three hours and keep something in my purse and car just in case. Granola bars and baked vegetable chips are usually my go to snack because they are portable and satisfying. But sometimes you just want a crunchy little snack. Here is one snack that you can feel good about eating-Roasted Chickpeas! I just recently discovered this healthy and tasty snack. Full of fiber and high in protein, these chickpeas are the perfect answer when you have a snack attack. Throw a baggie of these in your lunch box and avoid those vending machines when hunger strikes.
One Year Ago: Cheesecake Brownies
Oven Roasted Chickpeas with Moroccan Spices
- 2 (15 ounce) cans of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas in a colander under running water. Pat dry with a kitchen towel
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil and spices. Add chickpeas and toss until coated with spice mixture. Spread chickpeas out on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast, shaking the pan occasionally, until the chickpeas are slightly brown and crunchy, 35-40 minutes. Cool slightly before serving. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Yields: about 4 cups (16 servings/72 calories per 1/4 cup serving)
Source: adapted from We Are Not Martha