Warm, tender and flaky homemade buttermilk cornmeal biscuits straight from the oven make the perfect addition to your weekend mornings. These hearty homemade biscuits are so quick and easy to make; Just mix, cut out and bake. Slather one of these babies with whipped butter, honey butter, honey, or jam for a good old-fashioned breakfast. Or top with a fried egg and bacon for something extra special. 🙂
One Year Ago: Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Buttermilk Cornmeal Biscuits
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup ground cornmeal
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, chilled and cut into several pieces
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a flat beater, stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add the butter and toss with a fork to coat with the flour mixture. Mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the butter pieces no larger than small peas. Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 3 or 4 times. Press or pat dough into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle (about 9 x 5 inches). Fold dough over onto itself in 3 sections, starting with 1 short end. (Fold dough rectangle as if folding a letter-size piece of paper.) Repeat entire process 2 more times, beginning with pressing into a 3/4-inch-thick dough rectangle (about 9 x 5 inches).
- Press or pat dough to 1/2-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; cut with a 3-inch round cutter and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake biscuits for 16-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven; brush with 2 tablespoons melted butter.
Yields: 6-7 biscuits
Source: adapted from Baking Bites
Looking for plain Buttermilk Biscuits? Click Here 😀