When the weather gets hot, cool down with this simple and delicious Chickpea Salad with fresh vegetables, lemon and fresh herbs. I love chickpeas. I throw them into salads, roast them in the oven, even eat them by the handful. So when I saw this recipe I could hardly wait to give it a try. It makes a wonderful summer side dish or appetizer. Serve alone as a side dish or as an appetizer with pita chips or lettuce wraps. If you are in a hurry you can always toss it together and serve, but I recommend letting the flavors mingle in the fridge two hours before serving.
One Year Ago: Basic Pie Dough
Colorful Summer Chickpea Salad
- 2 19-oz cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved and sliced thin
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, tomatoes, bell peppers and cucumbers; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk lemon juice, olive oil, basil, parsley, salt and garlic. Toss with chickpea mixture and adjust seasonings to taste. Chill for two hours before serving. Top with Parmesan cheese before serving.
Yields: 8 servings
Source: Heat Oven to 350