I have been waiting since February to make these amazing brownies. The second that the February Bon Appetit came in the mail I have had these bookmarked. I am not sure how I managed to wait almost four months before I made them! I have to say I was completely blown away the second I took a bite of these rich and decadent brownies. They are fudgy in the middle and chewy on the outside with a shiny, crackly top. Maybe one of my favorite brownies I have ever made! 😀 The browned butter adds a rich and nutty flavor that is just incredible paired with the walnuts. This recipe couldn’t be easier, everything is mixed in one pot, making clean up a breeze!
Cocoa Brownies with Browned Butter and Walnuts
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, chilled
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- Preheat oven to 325F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 8 inch metal baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.) Butter the parchment.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Continue cooking until butter stops foaming and browned bits form at bottom of pan, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; immediately add sugar, cocoa, water, vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir to blend. Let cool 5 minutes (mixture will still be hot). Add eggs to hot mixture one at a time, beating vigorously to blend after each addition. When mixture looks thick and shiny, add flour and stir until blended. Beat vigorously 60 strokes. Stir in nuts.
- Spread into prepared baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (with a few moist crumbs attached). Cool on a wire rack.
Yields: 16 brownies
Source: Bon Appetit, February 2011