Looking for something to bring to a Memorial day cookout this weekend? Well I got you covered! This crowd pleasing summer time pasta salad is quick, easy and the excellent choice for pot lucks, cookouts and get togethers. Instead of a pasta salad loaded with tons of mayo, this pasta salad has a wonderful lemony dressing. Whole wheat pasta, slivers of parmesan cheese, toasted almonds, juicy cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives and zucchini are tossed with a lemony dressing that is just begging to be served at your next summer party.
Zucchini and Almond Pasta Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini (about 4 small ones), sliced very thinly
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 13.5 ounce box of whole grain rotini pasta
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, cut in half
- 1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese, thinly sliced with a peeler
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted and cooled (toast at 300˚ for about 10 minutes)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- Combine zucchini and 1 teaspoon of salt in a large colander set over a large bowl or in sink; let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions in salted water; drain and cool.
- In a large bowl combine zucchini, cooled pasta, tomatoes, olives, cheese and almonds.
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, black pepper and salt together. Toss with salad and adjust seasonings to taste. Garnish with the basil leaves and serve.
Yields: 8 servings