A tropical twist on the classic rice krispie treat, these toasted coconut rice krispie treats are perfect for any occasion. Rice Krispie treats have been smiles on the faces of children and adults alike since Mildred Day invented them in the 1920’s. These classic American treats were the very first thing that I remember making in the kitchen with my mom. Homemade rice krispies treats are the best, aren’t they? They taste nothing like the prepackaged rice krispies treats they have nowadays. My mom and I would make a large batch of these treats and between my dad, brother and me they would be gone in the blink of an eye. There have been many occasions after gorging myself on these delicious treats that I have sworn I would never eat another one. But who can resist these ooey, gooey, crunchy treats? Especially when they are speckled with shredded coconut, topped with toasted coconut and drizzled with dark chocolate. These no bake dessert bars come together in no time at all, so what are you waiting for? 😉
Toasted Coconut Rice Krispies Treats
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 10oz (1 bag) marshmallows
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- 3 ounces (about 1/2 cup) bittersweet chocolate chips
- To toast the coconut, spread the coconut onto a rimmed sheet pan. Toast in a 350°F oven, stirring frequently, until the coconut is an even brown color, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Butter an 9×13-inch baking pan. Line the baking pan with parchment paper letting the paper extend up the two short sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. Butter paper; set pan aside.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Add marshmallows and stir frequently until melted, about 6 minutes. Stir in shredded coconut and coconut extract. Remove from heat and stir in rice cereal. Using a piece of wax paper, press rice mixture evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and press lightly to adhere to the top of the treats.
- In a small, microwave safe bowl, heat the chocolate in the microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir, and return to microwave, heating in 15 second intervals and stirring well between each heating, until chocolate is melted. Drizzle melted chocolate over the treats in the pan.
- Cool at room temperature until chocolate hardens. Cut into squares.
Source: Craving Chronicles