Tortilla Soup is a flavorful Mexican soup with shredded chicken, corn, hominy, black beans, green chilies, and tomatoes. Topped with Monterey jack cheese, avocado, green onions, lime wedges, and crushed tortillas, this soup is sure to warm you up even on the coldest winter’s night. Unfortunately, the cold winter has returned to central Indiana. We were given a glimpse of spring for a few days, only to have the freezing rain and snow return to dampen our spirits. After work yesterday I ran my four miles outside and was so cold and hungry when I got back home, I needed something to warm me up! Something more than a hot bubble bath or shower was going to do. My mind was racing on what meal I could make that would be comforting and warming on such a cold day. I immediately remembered that I bookmarked this recipe a few weeks ago. Lucky for me I had all the ingredients needed to make this delicious soup….and let me tell you, it sure hit the spot! 🙂 Serve with a slice of buttery cornbread!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup whole corn kernels
- 1 cup white hominy
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves
- Tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Green onions, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat oil in a medium stock pot over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, tomatoes, broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in corn, hominy, chiles, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove chicken and shred. Return to pot and continue to simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, green onion and lime wedges.
Source: adapted from allrecipes.com