You are looking at one of my favorite meals right after Chicken Tikka Masala. This meal has quickly became a staple in my house. I am pretty sure I could serve it every night for dinner and Andrew would not complain! 🙂 You can use chicken, tofu, shrimp, or any combination of those ingredients. This makes a spicy pad thai so if you don’t like spicy food you may want to start with less crushed red pepper and work your way up. I first tried Pad Thai when I was on a trip to London. I know crazy! I had to go across the pond to first try this meal. London ended up being memorable not only for the Pad Thai, but my husband proposed to me beneath Westminster Abbey and Big Ben on April 3, 2007 right as Big Ben was ringing 10 o’clock. Look how beautiful it was!
We went back the next day so that I could take a picture of Westminster Abbey during the daylight. See that bench right there in front where a man is sitting? That is where it happened! Between tears and astonishment I said yes! I couldn’t believe that it had actually happened, I mean come on, it took five years!
If you have never tried to make pad thai, you will be happy to find out that it is easy to make at home. This spicy dish pairs perfectly with a Riesling or Gewürztraminer wine. So what are you waiting for? You could be eating this delicious pad thai in less than 45 minutes!
Chicken Pad Thai
- 1 (12 ounce) package rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup crushed peanuts
- 1 green onion, chopped for garnish
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Soak rice noodles in hot water 30 to 45 minutes, or until soft. Drain, and set aside.
- Heat peanut oil in a wok or large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Saute chicken, garlic, and green onions until browned. Remove, and set aside.
- Return the wok to the burner and add 1/4 cup of peanut oil. Heat oil in wok over medium-high heat. Crack eggs into hot oil, and cook until firm. Stir in chicken, softened noodles, vinegar, fish sauce, sugar, sweet chili sauce, red pepper, and cayenne pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste. Mix while cooking, until noodles are tender. Add bean sprouts and a squirt of lime, and mix for 2-3 minutes. Garnish with crushed peanuts, green onions, and a lime wedge.
Source: adapted from allrecipes.com