I can’t believe that Christmas is only 3 days away! I am so excited to see my family and friends in just a few days! I have been baking up a storm in my kitchen preparing little cookie tins for our neighbors and family. Of course on my list of things to include in my christmas cookie tins are some decorated sugar cookie cutouts. I decorated these cookies with royal icing. I love the smooth, matte finish that royal icing makes. It is so beautiful to use on cutout cookies.
Christmas Sugar Cookies
- 1 recipe for sugar cookies
- parchment paper
- 12 inch disposable pastry bags
- Decorating Tips
- Squeeze bottles
- Royal icing
- Prepare dough and shape into a disk and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove dough from refrigerator onto a lightly floured surface. Let dough sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- With a rolling pin, roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out cookies, placing on prepared baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet with cookies on them in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake cookies for 8-9 minutes until edges are just ready to turn the slightest bit light brown.
- Cool on a wire rack
- Once cookies are cooled, decorate as desired.
Source: adapted from Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies