I have finally found the perfect man! These classic gingerbread cookies are spicy, thick and chewy. To me nothing says “merry christmas” more than a plate full of decorated gingerbread men. You can cut these cookies into any shape that you want and decorate them with royal icing. I promise you will get many oohs and aahs from anybody that tries them. They are quite addictive! 🙂 Yesterday I posted my gingerbread cupcakes with a thick and chewy gingerbread man on top. I remember when I was younger making gingerbread cookies with my mom and hanging them on our christmas tree. They made the house smell so wonderful! However, they never lasted long on the tree, they were devoured too quickly. If you would like to make these cookies to hang on your tree, just use a toothpick or straw to make a hole in the top of the cookie before baking. After decorated, tie a ribbon on the gingerbread man and hang him on your tree. Whether you put them on a cookie plate or hang them from your tree they won’t last long-better double the batch! 😉
Thick and Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces and softened slightly
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Royal Icing for decorating
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with steel blade, process flour, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, salt, and baking soda until combined, about 10 seconds. Scatter butter pieces over flour mixture and process until mixture is sandy and resembles very fine meal, about 15 seconds. With food processor running, add molasses and milk; process until dough is evenly moistened and forms soft mass, about 10 seconds.
- Divide dough in half and roll into ¼ inch thickness between two sheets of parchment paper. Place in refrigerator at least two hours (or overnight) or place in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, until firm.
- Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Once firm, remove parchment from dough and cut out cookies using a 5-inch gingerbread man or 3-inch gingerbread cookies. Place on prepared baking sheets spacing cookies 1 inch apart. Bake until centers are just set and dough barely retains imprint when touched very gently with fingertip, 8 to 11 minutes. Rotating the baking sheets halfway through. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets about 2 minutes; using a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool to room temperature. Decorate as desired with royal icing.
- Gather scraps; repeat rolling, cutting, and baking in steps 2 and 4. Repeat with remaining dough until all dough is used.
Source: Baking Illustrated