Rich and decadent peppermint infused chocolate cookies drizzled with dark chocolate and sprinkled with crushed candy canes. The quintessential christmas cookie! This is one of my favorite times of year-adults and children so excited and happy for the upcoming holiday. To make it even better we had our first stick to the ground snowfall yesterday! December really made an appearance and it got me very excited for the next few weeks! This weekend my husband and I will be putting up the Christmas tree! 🙂 So excited! I am one of those people that get really sad after the first of January when we have to take the tree down. It just makes me so happy to turn on the lights and sit near the tree with a cup of hot chocolate…and I bet these cookies would be an awesome addition to the hot chocolate. Make room for these amazing cookies this holiday season, you will be glad you did.
Double Chocolate Peppermint Crunch Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups (16 ounces) bittersweet chocolate chips (no more than 61% cacao), divided
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 large eggs
- 4 candy canes or 16 red-and-white- striped hard peppermint candies, coarsely crushed
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate in the microwave on high power for 45 seconds. Stir. If un-melted pieces remain continue microwaving and stirring the chocolate in ten-second intervals until it is all melted and smooth. Measure 2/3 cup melted chocolate; transfer to small metal bowl and reserve for drizzling.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, espresso powder, and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until creamy. Add sugar and both extracts; beat until smooth. Add eggs; beat to blend. Beat in melted chocolate. Add dry ingredients; beat just to blend. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Roll a tablespoon of dough into a 1½-inch ball and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing cookies 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies in preheated oven until cracked all over, about 8 to 9 minutes. Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes. Transfer cookies on parchment paper to cooling racks to cool completely.
- Rewarm reserved 2/3 cup chocolate in the microwave on high for 10 second intervals until smooth. Place melted chocolate in a ziploc bag and snip off the very tip of the bag. Gently squeeze chocolate drizzles all over the cookie. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Chill just until chocolate sets, about 20 minutes.
Source: Bon Appetit, December 2010