I had four very sad looking bananas on my kitchen counter that needed to be used. Instead of the regular banana bread that I usually make, I was looking for something different. I remembered seeing this recipe in my Baked cookbook and knew I had to try it. These muffins are super moist, exploding with chocolate chips, and a touch of delicious coffee flavor. The perfect way to start your busy day! If you are like me and seem to always be running out the door to work (I swear, it doesn’t matter how early I get up!) these muffins are the perfect choice. The banana flavor intensifies if you tightly individually wrap these muffins in plastic wrap. So no more excuses! You are never too busy for breakfast. Make these the night before and grab one as you are running out the door. 🙂
Banana Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups mashed, very ripe bananas (about 4)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin cups with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the bananas, sugars, butter, milk, and egg; set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the flour, instant espresso powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the well and stir just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill each cup about 3/4 full. Bake in the center of the oven for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Move the muffin pan to a cooling rack, and let cool for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove the muffins from the pan and let them finish cooling on the cooling rack.
Source: Baked: New Frontiers in Baking