Decadent chocolate cookies with a hidden surprise! A roasted marshmallow is hidden beneath chocolate frosting. I have started thinking about which cookies are going to make the cut for my holiday cookie boxes that I give out to my friends, family, and neighbors each year. Every year around Christmas my friend Beth, my mom, and I spend an entire day of baking goodies. I look forward to this for months and as you can see I have already been planning. Although it is only the second week of November, after going to the mall last weekend and seeing the holiday decorations up everywhere, I am super excited for the holidays! 🙂 So if you are thinking about your holiday cookies yet, keep these ones in mind. Chocolately, gooey, and delicious-this may become your new favorite cookie.
Chocolate Marshmallow Surprise Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 large marshmallows, cut in half horizontally
For Chocolate Frosting:
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, milk, and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add reserved flour mixture; mix on low speed until combined.
- Using a tablespoon, drop dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies begin to spread and become firm, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove baking sheets from oven, and place a marshmallow, cut-side down, in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly. Return to oven, and continue baking until marshmallows begins to melt, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting, place confectioners’ sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk in butter and cocoa powder. Add milk and vanilla, and whisk until well combined.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of frosting over each marshmallow, starting in the center and continuing outward until marshmallow is covered.
Source: Martha Stewart