Super spooky decadent dark chocolate cupcakes with a fluffly buttercream frosting. I am so excited that Halloween is just around the corner! It has always been one of my favorite holidays. The excitement to get to dress up in costumes, go to haunted houses, and of course to make creepy and spooky treats. These cupcakes are the most decadent, moist, and delicious cupcakes I have ever tasted. The whole process couldn’t be easier. Only one bowl, mix all ingredients together, and pour it in the muffin pan. The batter is really thin, so to pour them into the muffin liners I transferred the batter into a glass meausring cup with a pour spout. This made the process so much easier! Don’t be afraid to use the strong coffee in this recipe, it really enhances the flavor of the chocolate and gives the cupcakes a spooky dark color. These cupcakes are perfect for Halloween or any of your black magic get-togethers. 😉
Black Magic Cupcakes
For Black Magic Cupcakes:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup strong black coffee (I used Starbucks French Roast)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with baking cup liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Batter will be thin. Transfer batter to a glass measuring cup with a pour spout and pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pan. Cool the cupcakes in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To make butter cream frosting, In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more.
- To make two color swirls. Divide frosting into two separate bowls. Color each bowl of frosting your desired color. Place each color in separate disposable decorators bags. Place the two filled disposable decorators bags into a large decorators decorating bag fitted with the 1M decorating tip and approximately 1/4″ above cupcake top at a 90° angle to cupcake surface, pipe a spiral of icing, beginning at the outer edge and working inward.
Source: adapted from Hersheys