Apple crumb bars with walnuts, crumbly oats, juicy apples and a hint of lemon. Apples have been so cheap here in central Indiana that I have stocked up and eager to make the many apple recipes that I have. My husband and I enjoyed the Raspberry Crumb Breakfast Bars so much that I wanted to try it with diced apples. These crumb bars are just speculator! They pack all the flavor of an apple pie packed into a bite-sized portable portion. These are perfect for a breakfast on the go, afternoon snack, or maybe with a scoop of ice cream for dessert. Whatever time of day you choose, I promise you will enjoy these apple crumb bars! 🙂
Apple Walnut Crumb Bars
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pound apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-by-13-inch glass or light-colored metal baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up the two short sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.) Butter the parchment.
- Put the flour, brown sugar, oats, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a food processor. Pulse in short bursts until combined. Add the butter and pulse until loose crumbs form.
- Reserve 1 1/4 cups of the mixture and set aside. Pour the rest of the mixture into the prepared pan and use your hands or the back of a large wooden spoon to push the crust into an even layer at the bottom of the pan. The crust should touch the sides of the pan. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let the crust cool. Keep the oven on while you make the apple filling.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon and flour together. Add the apples, walnuts, lemon juice and butter and use your hands to toss gently until the apples are evenly coated.
- Spread the apple filling evenly on top of the cooled crust. Sprinkle the reserved 1 1/4 cup crust mixture evenly on top of the filling.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, rotating the pan every 15 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the filling starts to bubble around the edges.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, then cut into squares and serve. The bars can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two days.