These moist and soft Pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting are the perfect way to welcome fall! I was so excited when I found canned pumpkin puree at the grocery store! It was the third store that I had gone to and they finally had it. The lady at the checkout probably thought I was insane because I bought four large cans of it. That’s alright because now I am all set to make my favorite pumpkin recipes. 🙂 One of my all time favorite pumpkin recipes to make are pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting. I am not sure why they are called pumpkin bars because it looks more like pumpkin cake before you cut it. I love anything pumpkin, so naturally this recipe is one of my favorites. I grew up in central Ohio and every year we would go to the Circleville Pumpkin Show. It was one of my favorite things about fall. We would make our way around the giant pumpkins over 1,600 pounds, 14 feet wide pumpkin pies, parades, marching bands and of course every pumpkin food you could think of!
Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
For the Pumpkin Bar:
- 4 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 by 9-inch baking pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
- Hand mix the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just combined. Do not overmix. Spread the batter into the prepared 13 by 9-inch baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the sugar and mix at low speed until combined. Stir in the vanilla and mix again. Spread on cooled pumpkin bars.