Coconut Almond Ice Cream with a rich coconut flavor speckled with chunks of chocolate and roasted almonds-the perfect ending to an amazing summer. You would have never known that it was close to the last day of summer in central Indiana yesterday. It was a hot and muggy 95 degrees-a record high! But even though I am sad that summer is over, I do look forward to the changing of the seasons (except for winter that is!) So before we start pulling out our jeans and sweaters, lets give summer a proper farewell with this tropical treat. This ice cream is based on my favorite seasonal flavor at Graeter’s in Columbus, Ohio. I love the flavor combination of coconut, chocolate and almonds. Whether it is macaroons or an Almond Joy candy bar, you just can’t go wrong! This creamy ice cream will transport you to the tropics if only for a few minutes. 🙂
Coconut Almond Chip Ice Cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut cream
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread almonds onto a baking sheet and place in preheated oven 6-8 minutes until fragrant. Shake the baking sheet halfway through baking so the nuts will toast evenly. Remove nuts from oven and set aside to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute. Pour in cream, milk and coconut cream and whisk to blend. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill in freezer until very cold (40 degrees) about 30 to 60 minutes.
- Start ice cream maker and add the mixture. Mix until ice cream has the consistency of soft serve ice cream, about 25 to 30 minutes. In the last 2 minutes of mixing, add the almonds and chocolate chips.
- Remove from ice cream machine canister and transfer to an airtight container. Freeze until firm, at least 3 hours.
Source: adapted from Ben & Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book
Looking for more ice cream recipes? Here are more frozen favorites I made this summer! 🙂