Start your morning off right with these thick slices of sourdough french toast grilled to perfection, lightly dusted with powdered sugar, and drizzled with maple syrup. Have I mentioned that I love breakfast? 🙂 It could be that many breakfast foods are covered in maple syrup or maybe because it reminds me of watching Saturday morning cartoons while scarfing down a stack of fluffy pancakes. Either way I love breakfast! My favorite place to get french toast is at the Cracker Barrel. I have tried to recreate their wonderful sourdough french toast several times, however, I have always been disappointed. It wasn’t until I took my first bite out of this recipe that I knew I had found a keeper! Golden brown sourdough soaked with maple syrup and topped with whipped butter…mmmmmm…is it the weekend yet?
Sourdough French Toast
- 8 large slices sourdough bread
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, warmed (80 degrees)
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place the slices of bread on a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet. Bake 16 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking, until almost dry throughout. Remove and let cool 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees.
- Whisk milk, egg yolks, sugar, melted butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Transfer to a 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
- Soak bread in milk mixture until saturated but not falling apart, about 20 seconds each side. Using a slotted spatula pick up one slice at a time allowing excess milk mixture to drip off. Place soaked bread on a baking sheet or platter.
- Preheat electric griddle to 350 degrees F. Spray griddle with non-stick cooking spray or melt some butter on the griddle. Use a slotted spatula to transfer slices of bread to the griddle. Cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until the second side is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Transfer to a baking sheet and place in warmed oven. Repeat using the remaining bread. Serve warm.