This is such a great summer salad! The seasonal fruits accompanied by the homemade walnut raspberry vinaigrette is a wonderful addition to any meal. If you have been following my blog lately, you might have noticed many wonderful sweets and desserts. A few of you may ask, does she really eat this stuff daily? Well, sadly the answer is no. 😦 I would love to..however, not only I am training for my first marathon in November so I have closely been watching what I eat, but also my husband has been working obscenely long hours and I really don’t have the energy to cook at 10 o’clock at night when he finally gets home. So most of my cooking has happened while he is at work! Here is one recipe that I make frequently, it is so perfect because you can change a few ingredients for each season. I have to say that summer is my favorite time to serve this because of the delicious and colorful fruit. Serve as a side salad or add grilled chicken breast and make it a main dish.
Spinach Salad with Walnut Raspberry Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 bunch spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado – peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red raspberry jam
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup walnut oil
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange walnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in oven for 5 minutes, or until nuts begin to brown.
- In a large bowl, toss together the spinach, walnuts, cranberries, blue cheese, tomatoes, avocado, raspberries, blueberries, and red onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together jam, vinegar, walnut oil, pepper, and salt. Pour over the salad just before serving, and toss to coat.
Source: adapted from allrecipes.com