There is a voice in all of us that beckons us to set our cares and worries aside and slow down. Go ahead and listen to that voice and let it take you to the caribbean island where the only worry you have is when happy hour starts! Making this side dish is a tropical breeze and the tangy lime dressing makes this salad the perfect pair for Jamaican Jerk Grilled Kebabs.
Cuban Sweet Potato Salad
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 3 1-inch thick round slices fresh pineapple
- 1 jicama, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds (12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- juice and zest of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Brush grill rack with oil.
- Brush sweet potato slices with 2 teaspoons olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill sweet potato, pineapple, and jicama slices, covered, over direct heat for 3-5 minutes per side, turning once.
- Cut sweet potatoes into small small pieces. Slice pineapple rounds into tidbits. Cut jicama rounds into matchsticks. Place potato, pineapple, and jicama pieces into a bowl.
- Whisk together honey and lime juice; stir in lime zest and red pepper flakes. Drizzle dressing over sweet potato mixture; toss to coat ingredients. Season salad to taste with kosher salt.
Source: adapted from Cuisine at Home Magazine, August 2009