I know that we have all done it, but I don’t want to hear any more excuses for skipping breakfast! This recipe is very quick and easy to make. It is also very versatile-if you do not like brown sugar and butter in your oatmeal-try it with 2 teaspoons of maple syrup, 1 tablespoon of chopped walnuts, or how about 1 tablespoon of peanut butter? Whatever combination you choose, you can feel good knowing that you will be left feeling full and satisfied for hours. It’s a healthy and delicious way to start you day, so what are you waiting for?
Banana and Wheat Germ Oatmeal
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup of old fashioned rolled oats
- 2/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups of sliced bananas (about 2)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine water, oats, wheat germ and salt in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 6 minutes or until thick and throughly heated, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Divide oatmeal evenly among three bowls. Top each serving with 1/2 cup banana, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 teaspoon butter, and a drizzling of honey.
Source: adapted from Cooking Light Magazine, Jan/Feb 2010